In 2021, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) has launched “Jiao◦Tong Global Virtual Classroom” (Jiao◦Tong GVC) Initiative, which opens up international education opportunities for students abroad by providing an immersive virtual student exchange experience at SJTU through advanced digital technologies and platforms and creating encounters with new ideas, cultures, and students from all over the world.
Since Fall 2021, SJTU has offered 20 quality “Shared Courses” delivered in English to Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU) and nearly 20 overseas universities in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan and other countries. More than 80 overseas students from Nanyang Technological University, University College London, INSA Lyon, Technical University of Munich, University of Warwick, University of Tokyo, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Osaka University and so on are taking SJTU courses as virtual exchange students. Meanwhile, as for “Co-built Courses”, 10 international students from University of Southern California are studying together with SJTU students in Jiao◦Tong GVC classroom of UCS-SJTU Institute of Cultural and Creative Industry. Furthermore, nearly 30 SJTU students have participated in online courses of Nanyang Technological University, Waseda University, Osaka University and other world-class universities.
Now, we are calling for a new round of courses for Spring 2022.
1. Application Requirements
a) Selection of Courses
- i. Academic courses in all disciplines delivered in English
- ii. Courses already offered at SJTU
- iii. Either Undergraduate or Postgraduate level
- i. “Shared Courses”: ~20
- ii. “Co-built Courses”: ~3
- i. “Shared Courses”: SJTU classroom open virtually for overseas students;
- “Co-built Courses”: Faculty collaborating with overseas peers and open for both domestic & overseas students
- ii. The selected “Co-built courses” can be delivered either in Spring or Fall 2022.
- iii. The selected “Shared Courses” (Undergrad. Level) will be recommended to APRU Virtual Student Exchange (VSE) Spring 2022.
2. Simple Steps to Apply
a) For Teaching Teams: Please download Application Form (Appendix 3) and submit the application to the International Office or Academic Affairs Office of your School.
b) For Schools: Please download Summary Sheet (Appendix 2) and submit Appendix 2 and Appendix 3 to the Program Coordinator.
a) Application Deadline: 17:00, Monday, 15 November, 2021 (GMT+8)
b) Review for Defense: End of November, 2021
4. Funding Budget
For the selected courses, International Affairs Division will offer funding for each teaching team by stages.
a) “Shared Courses”
- i. 10,000 RMB funding when the course is selected;
- ii. 40,000~90,000 RMB funding after the program completed (according to the final evaluation on effectiveness of teaching, etc.)
b) “Co-built Courses”:
- i. 20,000 RMB funding when the course is selected;
- ii. 40,000~80,000 RMB funding after the program completed (according to the final evaluation on effectiveness of teaching, etc.)
* Courses which have already received the funding for 2021 do not need to apply again. More details about Jiao◦Tong GVC program, please find the Appendix 1.
International Affairs Division
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Lina TAO 陶丽娜
Office of Global Partners & Relations
International Affairs Division
Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU)